10 March 2008

Louise RIP

My beautiful cat -- Louise -- died a few weeks back and I still can't quite get used to her absence... to the fact that she won't come under my cover and sleep on my arm while I read in bed in the evening, that she is not there when I get home, waiting for a cuddle and to play in the staircase. It is a weird feeling after 13 years of almost daily life together.

I lost a lot of sleep in the past months thinking of the day I would have to take her to the vet for the last time. As I saw her become weaker and weaker, I knew that the end was getting closer. One day there was no more escaping the hard reality. She could not really eat anymore, was getting thinner by the day and almost never moved from het cot in the kitchen. The time had come.

We took her to the vet for what would be the last shot. In the waiting room I had trouble keeping my tears back especially when another customer saw her and said how gorgeous she was. And this is true, even in her last moments she was still utterly gorgeous: big green eyes, tiny pink nose, beautiful grey coat.

Lately, her Mom Bonnie, who is the only remaining cat in our house, has taken up the habit of miaowing frantically from the top of the house. Is she looking for Louise? Is she lonely, bored? Does she do that only when we are home? Should we get a kitten to keep her company?

No comments: